- My Autism Network
What is Autism
Autism in Adulthood
Autism & Education
Resources By State
General Resources cont.
Treatment Specific Resources
Treatment Specific Resources cont.
Early Intervention Resources
- Critical Features of Early Intervention: Merging Best Practices - This article aims to answer the question “What are the critical features of early intervention for children with autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, and other pervasive developmental disorders?” First, the article gives some basic, but important, facts about ASD. Second, the article lists several key features of early intervention recommended for children on autism spectrum.
- Early Intervention for Young Children on the Autism Spectrum: Parent’s Perspective - This article includes the survey results of Indiana families with young children on the autism spectrum. The survey was designed to answer key questions pertaining to early intervention and its effects on ASD. The results of this survey are presented in a chart with different interventions strategies, the percentages of families who used these strategies, the hours per week they implemented these strategies, and the family’s opinion on the effectiveness of each intervention strategy.
- Early Intervention in Deafness and Autism - This article looks at the unique situation of a boy diagnosed with deafness, but then later was found to have autism spectrum disorder. The reason they detected the autism was the child showed no improvement after receiving a cochlear implant and seeing a speech therapist. The article shows the parallels between early intervention for deaf children, and early intervention methods for children on the autism spectrum.
- Early Intervention Program for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities - This lengthy document contains the 2011 regulations governing the Early Intervention Program for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities. The report covers a wide range of topics, and explains several of the rules and regulations regarding IDEA.
- Early Intervention in Autism - This article focuses on the benefits of early intervention when treating ASD. After providing some brief background on autism, the article explores the different forms of intervention and specific intervention programs.
- Making the Most of Morning Meeting - Morning meaning, or circle-time, is a school activity used by elementary classrooms to promote creativity, interaction, and fun through a variety of shared activities. This article addresses the difficulties children on autism spectrum have participating in circle-time, and ways to structure these meetings to better meet the needs of children with ASD. The article provides several suggestions, complete with photographs, for improving circle-time for individuals with ASD.
- Early Intervention in Autism- This article discusses several early intervention programs for children on the autism spectrum including the TEACCH program, Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), the Greenspan model, and more.
- Early Autism Detection: Implication for Pediatric Practice and Public Policy- This article discusses some of the challenges of early diagnosis and intervention for autism. The article touches on legislation relating to ASD, the diagnosis of ASD, the efficacy of early intervention for ASD, and more.
- Research Report: Outcome of Early Intervention for Autism - This 2007 research report assesses the effect of early intensive behavioral intervention for autism.
- Early Intervention for Autism With a Parent-Delivered Qigong Massage Program: A Randomized Controlled Trial- This interesting study examined the effectiveness of parent-delivered Qigong Sensory Training (QST), which is a therapy based on Chinese medicine that consists of a protocol of 12 intentional patting, shaking, and pressing movements applied to 12 areas of the body while the recipients are clothed. The mean age of the children involved in this study is 58 months.
- The Screening and Diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorders- This comprehensive report provides several recommendations designed to improve the rate of early detection and diagnosis, and therefore early intervention for, autism.
- Early and Intensive Behavioral Intervention for Autism: A Survey of Clinical Practices- The purpose of this document is to investigate the specific practices of different early intensive behavioral intervention programs. An internet survey filled out by 211 program supervisors inquired about curriculum, program size, therapist expertise and training, supervision, data collection, and more.