- My Autism Network
What is Autism
Autism in Adulthood
Autism & Education
Resources By State
General Resources cont.
Treatment Specific Resources
Treatment Specific Resources cont.
Assistive Technology Resources
- Designing Environments for Successful Kids- This comprehensive document discusses the different aspects of assistive technology in creating an engaging and fulfilling learning experience. The document is entitled “Designing Environments for Successful Kids, or D.E.S.K., and provides a wide array information pertaining to the different aspects of assistive technology, such as music, AT product descriptions, development of literacy, and designing learning environments for children of all ages.
- Towards Interactive Robots in Autism Therapy - Towards Interactive Robots in Autism Therapy - This extensive article examines the potential of using interactive environments in autism therapy. The article inspects the Aurora project, which studies the possibilities of mobile robots as therapeutic tools for children on the autism spectrum. The article concludes by speculating if robots will be able to facilitate social interaction skills in children with autism spectrum disorder in the future.
- A Student Handbook for Choosing and Using Assistive Technology - This document offers tips to children who are just being introduced to assistive technology as part of their education. The article includes examples of AT, success stories with AT, and evaluation forms about how to choose and use ATs.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder and Assistive Technology - This document contains an article about assistive technology from the Missouri Assistive Technology Advisory Council. This article focuses on the development of communication through speech generating devices (SGDs) and other alternative and augmentative communication (AAC) approaches. The question and answer format of this document makes it easy for the reader to specified solutions to their query.
- Assessing Students’ Needs for Assistive Technology - This manual contains over 500 pages of information pertaining to assistive technology for students with special education needs. This resource manual has 16 chapters of information that school district teams will find invaluable. The chapters cover topics like assessing the students’ need for assistive technology, assistive technology for communication, assistive technology for access to computers, and assistive technology for writing.
- Assistive Technology 101 - Assistive technology is designed to assist those with disabilities to function through daily life in the community and increase their independance. This fact sheet describes several different instances of assistive technology and how they are applied to improve the lives of those with disabilities.
- The Improving Access to Assistive Technology for Individuals with Disabilities Act of 2004 - This document is the statute for the “Improving Access to Assistive Technology for Individuals with Disabilities Act of 2004”. Assistive technology is any item, piece of equipment, or product system that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. Since children with autism are often visual learners, software based programs, like Boardmaker, which contains thousands of pictures that can be accompanied with any words, would be a prime example of assistive technology for children with ASD.
- Assistive Technology Glossary - This glossary contains over 50 words associated with assistive technology. The glossary provides detailed synopses for different aspects of assistive technology from general terms, like accommodation, to actual pieces of technology, like touch screens.
- Assistive Technology Solutions - This fact sheet describes the different technological levels (high-tech, mid-tech, and low-tech) of assistive technology and when to implement those technologies based on the difficulty the individual is having with a particular subject. For example, a talking dictionary, an example of high-technology, would help an individual with their writing and/or reading.
- Toward Socially Assistive Robotics for Augmenting Interventions for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders - This article examines the role of robotics as a way to provoke social behavior in children with ASD. This very interesting article describes the types of robots used for social assistance, experiment results of the benefits of robot and child interaction, and describes how this work may pave the way for the future of ASD intervention.