- My Autism Network
What is Autism
Autism in Adulthood
Autism & Education
Resources By State
General Resources cont.
Treatment Specific Resources
Treatment Specific Resources cont.
Augmentative Communication Resources
- Autism Spectrum Disorder and Assistive Technology - This document contains an article about assistive technology from the Missouri Assistive Technology Advisory Council. This article focuses on the development of communication through speech generating devices (SGDs) and other alternative and augmentative communication (AAC) approaches. The question and answer format of this document makes it easy for the reader to specified solutions to their query.
- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly- a Table of Communication products for Autism - This document contains an extensive table of communication aids designed to help individuals on the autism spectrum. The table contains over 50 products available for a variety of mediums, such as iPod Touch, iPad, Droid, and over the internet. The table includes pricing, text-to-speech column, support (i.e. email or phone), whether or not there is a demo available for the product, and comments about the product.
- “If They Could Only Tell Me What They Are Thinking.” The Need for Augmentative Communication for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders - This article encourages people who are involved in the lives of non-verbal individuals with ASD to investigate different ways of communicating with the individual. The article explains how each individual is different and stresses the use of great patience when trying to discover the best communication method for the individual.
- Using Aided Language to Develop Skills with Augmentative Communication Displays- This article looks at the different aspects of Aided Language as a language intervention strategy. The article provides the example using a non-electronic topic board as a catalyst to explain how Aided Language can be effectively used by adults.
- Visual Schedule and Choice Boards: Avoid Misinterpretation of their Primary Functions- This article is designed to help people understand the distinction and promote accurate communication for the intervention strategies of schedules and choice boards. The article concludes with information concerning augmentative communication systems, which are designed to allow an individual to express a variety of messages.